Niemeyer's Notes

Stop by this blog to read some banter about education and technology.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

3 Epiphanies from David Jakes' WI Presentation

Epiphany: A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something. (www.dictionary.com) That is what happened to me this week. As a result of this experience, I've had an epiphany with regard to web 2.0 tools. I thought had somewhat of an understanding of web 2.0 tools, but I no idea how David's insights, resources and knowledge would impact my district, how we approach pedagogy and professional development. These tools and the vast resources connected to them will revolutionize our district.The impact it will have once we employ it will be phenomenal, with some encouragement and guidance. I've learned that web 2.0 tools will expand our network of resources exponentially. I learned the potential these tools could have to expand our students' network of resources and the new exciting tools that allow them to further be content producers rather than consumers. I thought I knew, but I had NO idea. I learned that I can steal resources from experts in the field, with their permission and even sometimes with immediate online guidance; it makes me twitter and it is delicious. (Twitter, Delicious)I learned that I can "feed" my hunger for professional resources and information with something "really simple". (RSS feeds) I learned how make a page flake so I have whatever tools I want in one spot.(Pageflakes) I am so thrilled, invigorated and ready to share with everyone in our district how they can employ these tools to revitalize their instruction, their students and their careers. Thank you!

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

You rock.

And remember when you need help, I'm only a Skype Chat away...

Dave

BTW, thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

August 8, 2007 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger Suzi said...

Anna,

It has been great to meet you and chat with someone who experiences some of the same things that I do. Your excitement for this topic is contagious. I hope that you get the response from your district that you anticipate. These are fantastic tools and I am excited to use them too. I thought about compiling a list of teachers with whom I work and the topics that might interest them. I think it might be better to approach a couple of people that will use this technology rather than try to hold a training. How are you going to approach disseminating this information?

August 9, 2007 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Suzi,
I've enjoyed sharing with you too. It will be such fun to explore these tools with staff. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas with you too. There are a couple of ways that I approach sharing new applications. As you do, as we mentioned when we talked in class, I'll offer after or before school staff development opportunities. I also start using them myself. So I'll compile a wiki of resources/information for staff on my own wiki and then refer them to that resource when they need information. Also, I like to seek out my "risk takers" in my district. There are a few staff members that I will entice into trying something new with my guidance. I can usually find one or two teachers to try the new tools. If it all goes well, they'll spread the word amongst our colleagues and I'll be busy helping a few more teachers and it continues to grow. Do you have any other suggestions on enticing people to use new tools?

August 9, 2007 at 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home